Sunday 10 June 2012

FOOTBALL, THUGS AND LOUTS

Shock ! Horror !

I never realised it before but apparently many football crowds have elements that shout abuse at the players and officials on the pitch. This disgraceful behaviour is now causing real concern at the 'Euro' football competition being played in Poland and Ukraine.

As a longstanding follower of Tottenham Hotspur, universally known in some circles and for many years as 'The Yids' on account of their history of jewish ownership, I find this all a bit boring and repetitive. Frankly, I couldn't give a damn what people say, shout or chant. Much of the chanting at football matches has been highly obscene for years and yet no one has said much about; others forms of offensive chanting have existed for a similar period of time. Football is a highly tribal sport - is it any surprise that some supporters act tribally ?

Suddenly, offensive behaviour is no longer acceptable. Why ? When I was a child I was always told that 'Sticks and stones could break my bones but words could never hurt me'. Why is this no longer the dictum ? The more attention that is paid to the ill-mannered behaviour of the louts and thugs who attend football matches, the more they will be inspired to be thugs and louts.

Our grotesquely overpaid and pampered footballers should grow thicker skins, shut up and get on with kicking that round thing around the pitch; they should also stop their own loutish and thuggish behaviour which no doubt helps to stir up their supporters.

Notwithstanding my support for Tottenham, I still prefer watching properly grown men using an oval ball rather than these overgrown, spoilt and whining schoolboys.

No comments: